Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Believe it!

Go down

Believe it! Empty Believe it!

Post by Yanne Fri 9 Sep 2011 - 21:14

Six rescued near Gillam after boat capsized Labour Day Monday on Stephens Lake
Life jackets credited for everyone surviving

September 6, 2011
By John Barker
editor@thompsoncitizen.net

Six people were rescued in a dramatic rescue Monday from Stephens Lake near Gillam after their boat capsized in heavy winds and high waves, says Sgt. Cory Garrard, officer-in-charge of the RCMP Gillam detachment, about 300 kilometres northeast of Thompson.

Garrard said at about 3 p.m. Sept. 5, RCMP and Manitoba Conservation officers responded to a call that a boat was sinking and capsized on Stephens Lake near Gillam.

"The specific location of the boat was unknown," Garrard said. "This is a large body of water, as such, an aerial search was initiated. The occupants were eventually spotted hanging on to a ski tube. The location was relayed to the RCMP boat also assisting in the rescue. All six occupants, a family of four adults, and two other adult passengers of the boat were rescued. All were taken to the Gillam Hospital where they were treated and released.

Garrard said RCMP learned the boat had been crossing from the north side of the lake to Gillam in heavy winds of 25 to 30 knots and five to six-foot high waves when the boat took on water over the transom, swamped and finally capsized. Stephens Lake is also the forebay of the Kettle Generating Station and is operated, pursuant to a licence issued by the province as a forebay for the production of hydro-electric power. As a consequence, the levels of Stephens Lake are subject to frequent changes to meet demands for power.

"Everyone on board the boat at the time of the rescue was wearing a life jacket," Garrard said. "This factor was critical to everyone's survival during this very dangerous incident."

Alcohol was not involved in the mishap, Garrard said.

"Gillam detachment would like to thank two local pilots and two citizens for their assistance during the search for the capsized boat," he added.

Kats, I'm not a hero, it's just my job! The real hero is the life jackets!

Yanne
Yanne

Back to top Go down

Believe it! Empty Re: Believe it!

Post by Guest Sat 10 Sep 2011 - 11:56

my hero!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Sep 2011 - 14:03

Your name wasn't even mentioned. Quit taking credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Yanne Sat 10 Sep 2011 - 18:02

I never took credit! That's just a reugular day off work for guys like me and Rob! Vic helps out too and makes sure my batteries and flashlight is charged and ready to go!
Yanne
Yanne

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Sep 2011 - 20:03

Yanne wrote:Vic helps out too and makes sure my batteries and flashlight is charged and ready to go!

HAHAHHAHA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum